Greetings from the Hilltop!
Summer projects are underway here as we work to get ready for another school year. There are grounds to tend, improvement projects to our buildings, and lots of work in offices.
Students, we know you have questions about what Fall 2020 will look like. We know that is true for returning students, for new students and for their families!
At this time we are preparing for Fall 2020 on campus. Across the college, we have developed operational plans that take into account various possible scenarios. We will continue to refine those plans as we get more information.
Of course, our plans are limited by what our state government allows, so we cannot make promises at this time. We hope by mid-July to be able to provide a clear answer about campus operations in the fall.
For now, we want you to know that we expect to reopen campus in August. This includes the residence halls, dining services, offices and classrooms. We will have some precautionary measures in place to reduce the risk of sicknesses spreading, but we are hoping and praying toward an active campus again!
Keep watching our website and social media for more information in July!
After prayerful discussion, the Administrative Committee has decided on several actions. We believe these are helpful preventative measures to limit risk related to COVID-19.
- We will not reopen campus during the Spring 2020 semester, including canceling Commissioning Week activities. Commencement is postponed until August.
- Classes scheduled on campus for the remainder of the semester will be held remotely. Students, please see expanded A/Pass/Fail grade options.
- Residence halls will remain open only for students who have prior approval from Student Affairs.
- Dining services will be suspended the remainder of the semester.
- Some student work positions are necessary for campus operations under these conditions. Work students should check with their supervisors to see if they are required to work during these extended days off.
- Students and employees should watch their email for updates.
- Room and board charges for April and May will be refunded. This may reduce students’ account balance, or it may result in a refund check.
- Students wishing to retrieve items from campus must first check with Student Affairs before doing so.
Importantly, we will continue to monitor health for all campus community members.
If you develop COVID-19 symptoms (listed below) or have been exposed to a known case of COVID-19, follow the steps below immediately:
- Notify Student Affairs personnel immediately:
- If you are away from campus, you will not be permitted to return to campus until approved by Student Affairs to do so. Do not head back to campus until you are cleared by Student Affairs.
- Students on campus should follow Student Affairs instructions regarding isolation and quarantine.
- Follow Student Affairs staff’s instructions to be cleared to return to campus and/or resume normal activities.
Any absences you accrue because of this process will be excused, and faculty will work with you to continue to make progress in your classes.
COVID-19 Symptoms seen below may show up 2-14 days after exposure:
- Shortness of breath
Please see the CDC website for more in-depth information regarding prevention, symptoms, and recommendations regarding COVID-19.
We hope you will join us in praying for God’s help — not just for the GBSC community, but for those around the world who are struggling with illness, especially our brothers and sisters in places where healthcare resources are more limited. Our hope is in Him!