Although the nature of our study was academic, it was never allowed to [be merely] theoretical. Professors consistently showed the practical implications of what was being taught for life and ministry.
I found it personally transformative.
Master of Arts in Biblical Studies
For those who want to pursue further biblical studies to prepare for a teaching ministry, this degree provides a solid platform to an MDiv or PhD. For pastors, this degree provides advanced exegesis skill development and deeper theological understanding to equip laity for more effective service. The degree has a core of 30 hours with 6 hours of practical theology electives. It requires language proficiency in biblical Greek and Hebrew.
Why pursue an MA in Biblical Studies at GBSC?
- Flexibility. Grad courses are completely online, from homework to live class sessions. No need to relocate or upset your schedule. Our degrees are designed with active pastors, missionaries, and lay ministers in mind.
- Original languages. Greek and Hebrew exegesis courses are a core component of the degree. Students meet weekly with a professor to discuss their work as they translate and analyze a portion of Scripture from the original Greek or Hebrew.
- Accreditation. Degrees are both regionally (HLC) and nationally (ABHE) accredited.
- Theology. We are committed to the authority of God’s inerrant Word. We are Wesleyan-Arminian and passionate about the message of Spirit-filled, holy living.
- hold an earned BA or equivalent (for example, a BS or BRE).
- have completed 30 undergrad credits of Bible and Theology.
- have an undergrad GPA of 3.0 or greater. However, applicants with a lower GPA will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
A GRE test is not required.
Degree Structure (Suggested Sequence)
|Biblical Studies||18 hours|
|Theology Electives||6 hours|
|Exegesis Electives||6 hours|
|Practical Theology Electives||6 hours|
We offer electives in the following areas:
Two semesters per year, Fall and Spring.
Students may take classes…
- Full-time: 3 courses (9 credit hours) per semester. Graduate after 4 semesters.
- Part-time: 1-2 courses (3-6 credit hours) per semester. Graduate after 6-12 semesters.
Students went on to be a
- Bible teacher
- PhD student
- MDiv student
- pastoral counselor
Visit the Masters Tuition page for up-to-date cost information.
Students report spending 7-12 hours weekly on homework for one graduate course.
Financial Aid Options
- FAFSA offers unsubsidized loans.
- GBSC offers some scholarships. Visit the Financial Aid page for more information.
Graduate Program Calendar
Spring 2021 Dates
- Jan. 18: Spring graduate classes convene
- Mar. 21-27: Late winter break
- Apr. 1: Program and scholarship application deadline for Summer 2021
- Apr. 2: Last day to withdraw from Spring 2021 classes
- Apr. 18-24: Spring break
- May 15: Spring graduate classes end
Summer 2021 Dates
- May 31: Summer graduate classes convene
- June 1: Program and scholarship application deadline for Fall 2021
- June 28-July 4: Summer break
- July 31: Summer graduate classes end
Fall 2021 Dates
- Aug. 16: Fall graduate classes convene
- Oct. 24-30: Fall break
- Nov. 12: Last day to withdraw from Fall 2021 classes
- Nov. 21-27: Thanksgiving break
- Dec. 11: Fall graduate classes ends