Although the nature of our study was academic, it was never allowed to [be merely] theoretical. Professors consistently showed the practical implications of what was being taught for life and ministry.
I found it personally transformative.Maricka Herrer
Master of Arts in Biblical Studies
For those who want to pursue further biblical studies in preparation for a teaching ministry, this degree will provide a solid, transferable platform to an M.Div. or PhD program. For pastors, this degree provides advanced exegetical skill development and deeper theological understanding to equip laity for more effective service. It consists of an MA core of 30 hours with 6 hours of Practical Theology electives, and requires language proficiency in biblical Greek and Hebrew.
Why pursue an MA in Biblical Studies at GBSC?
- Flexibility. Graduate courses are completely online, from homework to live class sessions. No need to relocate or upset your schedule. Our degrees are designed with active pastors, missionaries, and lay ministers in mind.
- Original languages. Greek and Hebrew exegesis courses are a core component of the degree program. Students meet weekly with a professor to discuss their work as they translate and analyze a portion of Scripture from the original Greek or Hebrew.
- Accreditation. Degrees are both regionally (HLC) and nationally (ABHE) accredited.
- Theology. We are committed to the authority of God’s infallible, inerrant Word. We are Wesleyan-Arminian and passionate about articulating the message of Spirit-filled, holy living.
- hold an earned BA or equivalent (e.g., BS, BRE).
- have completed 30 undergraduate credits of Bible and Theology.
- have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or greater. Applicants with a lower GPA will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
A GRE test is not required.
Degree Structure (Suggested Course Sequence)
Two semesters per year, Fall and Spring.
Students may take classes…
- Full-time: 3 courses (9 credit hours) per semester. Graduate after 4 semesters.
- Part-time: 1-2 courses (3-6 credit hours) per semester. Graduate after 6-12 semesters.
Students went on to be a
- Bible teacher
- PhD student
- MDiv student
- pastoral counselor
Visit the Masters Tuition page for up-to-date cost information.
Students report spending 7-12 hours weekly on homework for one graduate course.
Financial Aid Options
- FAFSA offers unsubsidized loans.
- GBSC offers some scholarships. Visit the Financial Aid page for more information.